After taking the role as Head Coach of Ilkeston Swimming Club from Oct 2018, I knew it would be a tough task to take on. Starting with assessments of all swimmers ability and Squad restructuring, with the introduction of Midland Potential, Junior Elite, National Potential as the top 3 squads. There was also some restructuring of coaching staff and swimming cycles in order to get the best performance out of the swimmers.
With hard work and a good coaching team behind me, the swimmers didn’t disappoint from the start to the end of the season and gave it their all. With the backing of the Committee, key members and volunteers, the Club has produced its best season ever.
A lot of individuals worked tirelessly behind the scenes to keep the Club financially stable, with some amazing fundraising, media coverage and recruitment of new swimmers all contributing to make ISC a success. ISC stats for the season 2018/19:
- PB rate 80% and above in all competitions, with a Top 10 in the Arena League
- 2 National qualifiers, 33 County qualifiers, 11 Regional qualifiers and finalists
- 7 Regional open water qualifiers and 1 National open water qualifier
- Too many individual medals won to mention!
These stats show how far ISC has progressed this season, with exciting times ahead.
The main focus for the 2019/2020 season will be to improve on last season….
Improve skills, stamina, speed, underwater, reactions, starts and turns to become a complete swimmer. As they say at Ilkeston; HARD WORK CONQUERS ALL!
Things to look forward to in the new season:
- Introduction of the new Masters/ Seniors Squad
- New Coaching Staff/Restructure
- New swimmer recruitment
- Club Championship
- Lanzarote Swim Camp
- DASA County Sprints
- DASA County Championships
- Regional Championships
- National Championships
- Open Water Championships
There will sadly be a loss of some long standing Club members this year as Steve Darkin, Lesley Gilbert and Paula Elson leave us. On behalf of the whole Club, I would like to wish them a well deserved rest, a successful future and a huge thank you for everything you have done for the Club. Highlights of the season for me were:
- Seeing a change in swimmer performance overall
- Swimmers getting their first regional qualifiers
- Regional Championships
- Intercounty selection as 1 of Derbyshire coaching staff and promotion to Div 1
- The amount of awards won by individual swimmers
- Personal best times achieved.
A big well done also goes out to the 5 DX swimmers who also swim for ISC on having a really good season, which is a credit to their coaches, and I look forward to keeping the link with them for the new season. Finally, a huge thank you to all who have made me welcome at the Club, to the parents for their tremendous support, the Committee, a great set of Coaches who have done a tremendous job and to the swimmers who have performed amazingly all season. All have a great holiday, a well deserved break and see you in the new season. Thank you again.
Head Coach Richard Tomlinson